Sunday, October 6, 2013

Euphoria






I think what I'm about to talk so passionately about is universal, which is partly the reason I'm bringing it up in the first place.

Okay, I think we've all been through those dreary days, where nothing seems to be going in your favour and even the sun, which is supposed to signify warmth and heat and life, is weakening. We've all had those days where we feel so overwhelmed with the world and the problems we're faced with, and we're convinced the melancholy will never subside. 
I'm not afraid to say I've been going through something similar, for quite a long while, and it took until today, to realise that it's not all bad.

I take extra classes in the Institute of Education in Dublin, and always look forward to English class; the guy's just a legend! He teaches English with such zeal that makes you want to learn. Something my normal English teacher greatly lacks.

This particular English class, we studied 'The Darkling Thrush' by the poet Thomas Hardy. Another brilliant man. He paints us a picture, of a dull Winter's day, at dusk, and describes perfectly how blue he feels; something we can all relate to. He feels like the ominous cloud that hangs over him will never go away, and "every spirit upon Earth seemed fervourless as I". His powerful wording immediately draws out the reader's sympathy and they can almost share in his sadness. I know I did when my teacher read the poem anyway.







What makes this poem so amazing, however, is what happens in the last two paragraphs. Hardy catches the song of 'the darkling thrush' and is filled with awe. Usually birds sing at dawn not dusk. The sheer beauty of it is enough to lighten Hardy's mood. He's realistic in saying the happiness will not last forever, so, in that moment, he'll appreciate and celebrate it.

I took this poem to be about life, and how life can feel overwhelming and depressing sometimes, but the good things keep us going. I took it to be about Hardy being in a tough spot in his life, writing wise, with a sore lack inspiration and a feeling of wandering aimlessly. But then, the thrush appears, and in all it's strange glory, provides the inspiration. It's inspiration that won't last forever, but proves enough to grant euphoria for the moment.

I walked out of that class with a big cheesy grin on my face.

After that class, I stuck in my earphones, with "Ride This Feeling by Kate-Miller Heidke", on repeat and I was just.. euphoric. It was a strange feeling, the song fit the mood perfectly, and I felt as if nothing bad would ever happen. Obviously I knew that would never happen, so I appreciated the song even more. 

I had my earphones in until I went to bed that night. It was the perfect day.




No comments:

Post a Comment