Sunday, December 15, 2013

Blogmas Day 15: The Lost Hero Book Review

Title: Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero
Author: Rick Riordan
Genre: YA Fantasy/Greek Myth
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication Date: October 12, 2010
Source: Easons
Easons Amazon


Jason has a problem.
He doesn’t remember anything before waking up on a school bus holding hands with a girl. Apparently she’s his girlfriend Piper, his best friend is a kid named Leo, and they’re all students in the Wilderness School, a boarding school for “bad kids.” What he did to end up here, Jason has no idea—except that everything seems very wrong.

 Piper has a secret. 
Her father has been missing for three days, and her vivid nightmares reveal that he’s in terrible danger. Now her boyfriend doesn’t recognize her, and when a freak storm and strange creatures attack during a school field trip, she, Jason, and Leo are whisked away to someplace called Camp Half-Blood. What is going on? 

Leo has a way with tools.
His new cabin at Camp Half-Blood is filled with them. Seriously, the place beats Wilderness School hands down, with its weapons training, monsters, and fine-looking girls. What’s troubling is the curse everyone keeps talking about, and that a camper’s gone missing. Weirdest of all, his bunkmates insist they are all—including Leo—related to a god.



Hey guys, just a quick book review because, you know, who doesn't like quick book reviews right? Haha. No I'm only kidding, I'm just really busy  but I did say I was going to write an actual blogmas post, so here it is!

First of all, I've to say that I thought Riordan's splitting the book into three different point of views, was a stroke of pure genius. I don't know if I was the only one, and I'm sure I wasn't, but I constantly found myself reading on even though I'd said I would stop two chapters ago. The reason for this, I believe, was that I'd get invested in a particular character's point of view and what they were doing, for two chapters, but then another character brought me in, and then another, and by the time I'm back to the first character, I'm itching to read about the second and the third! I'm unsure of whether it was Riordan's intention, but it was an absolutely brilliant, and I finished the book rather quickly as a result.

With the conclusion of the 'Percy Jackson' series, I was expecting to be flooded with new characters in the new series, but I wasn't, and appreciated that fact. Riordan developed the three characters incredibly well, with help from the varying POVs, and I ended up loving each of them. The movement of the plot was very well written, and the plot itself was enjoyable. The one problem I had with, however, was the ending.

I don't know what it was about the conclusion and saving Hera that disinterested me. I just couldn't get into the last few chapters, having to read them once or twice over, which was a huge disappointment because the proceeding chapters were very captivating.

Despite the disappointing ending, all in all, I did really enjoy this book. Fans of the Percy Jackson series will really like it!






No comments:

Post a Comment